We’re (eee! finally!) diving into our kitchen renovation. It involves the usual dust, drywall, and a fair amount of Gatorade and Landshark. When we bought our house, the paint color was not my favorite and it hasn’t grown on me. It’s dark, seasonal (pumpkin!), and too dark for the size of the space.
We get a ton of compliments on the floor. Like a weird amount for how much I don’t like it. As we’ve lived with it for 3.5 years, t’s hard to miss that its worn vinyl tile (not shiny porcelain) and the white squares are discolored. While many of our family and friends are sad that we’re changing it –meanwhile we’re jumping for joy!– we promise the new floor will be pretty(er). Below I’m sharing photos, progress, and our plans.
Here’s what our kitchen looked like when we bought our house in 2009:
And here she is today… We really got far, huh? But really, look closely and you’ll see we’ve done some things: painted the unfinished cabinet doors, painted shelving, added a “built-in” looking bench, replaced the window, and painted baseboard. This is one of the last rooms we’re tackling. So far we’ve renovated the living room, dining room, mudroom, basement, our bedroom, one of the guest rooms, and of course (our biggest projects) the exterior of our house and the yard. Now… for our most anticipated renovation!
Ha.. notice our naked dining room floor yonder? I removed the area rug as we have a new one in the mail. 😉
This was once a window looking into the former mudroom. Now it’s a dry-wall and spackle art feature.
These were once framed with trim which was a little poorly installed – all touching and smushed in place, had odd cuts, and 31 coats of paint. Now there will be new doors and smaller-profile trim with painted wall in between.
Our only window – again with the trim. Yes, that drywall was once all trim. Way overkill! This kitchen was previously renovated with drywall applied over plaster walls and CUT AROUND THE TRIM. Gasp. This might have been a quick fix for whoever did it, but it was done poorly and has left us with extra work.
What we’re planning:
- Above the range Adding (1) tall 12″ wide cabinet on left + (1) 30″ wide short cabinet w/ microwave/range hood below centered + 8″ wide custom spice pull-out cabinet (built by Andrew!) on the right
- New 15-pane (glorious light!) door stained dark to match our front door between kitchen and mudroom
- Adding 4 down lights, 1 chandelier over the table, and undercabinet lighting
- Re-trim and paint entire room to match adjacent minty mudroom/powder/laundry room
- New counters (we were resistant at first, but we can’t avoid destroying it with other fixes)
- New flooring also to match our midnight slate copper mudroom tile
- Added tile back-splash (see next post sharing what we chose!) not matching the mosaic tile in the powder room, which was the original plan to create uniformity
- New pedestal base table/chairs and a window-mirror above the “built-in-look” bench to make the space feel bigger
- New pendant light over the table
- Shift pantry/fridge about 2′ to the left making more room for trash can and basement door to open (sounds easy, but we need to move HVAC to accomplish this. Boo.)
- Making a useful tech/mail/storage hub out of the awkward little triangle closet (this includes a phone charging station, a tack-board, and a light! Whoa!)
Stay tuned for progress photos and updates!