Now for the fun part. I don’t much love the before pictures, but these finish photos make me super happy. Here’s a refresher of what’s in the kitchen now:
- Paint: Persimmon, Pumpkin Orange (changing, minty sage)
- Floor: Black & White Vinyl Checkerboard (changing, midnight copper tile)
- Cabinets: Snowbound White (keeping, improving)
- Counter: Brown Granite-look Laminate (changing, Black-granite look)
- Sink+Fixtures: Stainless Steel, chrome (changing faucet and adding disposal!!)
- Hardware: Dark Bronze (keeping)
- Lighting: Brushed nickel/laminate (changing to white can lights and dark bronze pendant to match hardware)
- Large Appliances: White (love white, keeping)
- Small Appliances: Black (microwave oven was a gift, coffee maker to match)
- Other accent colors and tools to consider: Red Mixer, Wooden Bowls, colorful dish towels and a fun rug
- Decor: paint-dipped spoons like these, I’d love to make!; a DIY similar to this mirror; hanging lodge skillets, and some herb water colors like these, perhaps!
This photo shows our paint color, trim color, new flooring, counter laminate, and back-splash tile.
We considered two others, which I’ll show next, but chose this one because it keeps the room feeling light, adds richness and shimmer, and once installed/grouted, the mint of the glass tiles really comes to life and coordinates with the wall color. The linear direction also helps add length to our only cabinet wall. I can’t wait to see it illuminated with the halogen undercabinet lighting.
Our other considerations:
Pretty, right? Though, not quite perfect for this room. The darker one appears too dark and too busy. The installed example at Lowe’s is even darker, so we ruled this one out, however it coordinates nicely with the floor. The Carrara marble-y tile also works, but when held below our while cabinets, it was just too much white for us. Andrew uses the word: “bathroomy” sometimes with tile. We both agreed this could be considered “bathroomy” or it could work well in a kitchen, but just not ours sadly.
And just for fun, this is the mosaic tile that we installed in the powder room and were planning to use. What changed our mind? When we realized we needed new counters, together the laminate and tile were much too busy. Alas, I LOVE our final selection!
Now onto lighting… I’ve collected some great images of lighting I’m considering. Will share soon!
PS. Our dining room rug which I mentioned in this post, looks just like the rug in these pictures but a little more sage green! Fun fact?